Review: What Lies Between Us



What Lies Between Us by John Marrs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What Lies Between Us is easily one of the most gripping psychological thrillers I’ve ever read. From the very first page, I was absolutely immersed! It’s one of those books that you just can’t put down, no matter the hour of the night.

Set in a claustrophobic setting, the alternating perspectives and timelines only add to the suspense. You’re not just reading the story; you’re pulled into a twisted world that feels disturbingly real.

The character development is genuinely impressive. The central characters, Maggie and Nina, are incredibly complex and, to be honest, a bit disturbing. Their relationship is filled with turbulence and deceit, and the way their chemistry is explored had me questioning everything—are they even capable of love, or is it all manipulation? I found myself constantly trying to figure them out, with no success until the big plot twist.

With every chapter, another layer of their pasts is peeled away, and as the revelations build up, so does the sense of dread. The psychological insights into Maggie and Nina are so unsettling that I would find my mouth open every few minutes. It’s like John Marrs got me into their heads to make me feel their turmoil, which is both fascinating and terrifying.

What really stands out in this book is the relentless pace of the story. The plot twists? Absolutely brilliant! Just when you think you’ve figured things out, Marrs throws something unexpected at you. It’s an intense ride that keeps you guessing, and I loved every second of it.

If you’re in the mood for something that will keep you on the edge of your seat and make you question everything you thought you knew about love and trust, then you absolutely need to pick up What Lies Between Us. It is a masterful example of a psychological thriller. 

Its incredible twists, fast pace, and rich character development make it a standout read. John Marrs has really outdone himself, crafting a story that’s both gripping and deeply unsettling. I’m still thinking about it days after finishing, and I know it will stay with me for a long time.


Follow me on Goodreads   |   View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Reviews