Review: Everyone Here Is Lying



Everyone Here Is Lying by Shari Lapena
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm very glad I picked up this book and was finally introduced to Shari Lapena's work. Everyone Here Is Lying is a compelling neighbourhood thriller that captivated me from the start. Set in a seemingly calm village, the disappearance of nine-year-old Avery Wooler triggers a chain of events that eventually reveal the mysteries lurking beneath the surface. With fast-paced writing and dramatic turns, Lapena offered an exciting read that kept me on edge until the very last page, leaving little room for me to begin unravelling the mystery before the appropriate moment.

Lapena's amazing ability to tell an intricate and unsettling story is evident. The tale felt like a domestic thriller, with each character hiding something and no one being really trustworthy. The unpredictable nature of everyone's secrets and lies had me completely engaged, as I frequently speculated on who might be involved in Avery's disappearance and what secrets the neighbourhood inhabitants were holding.

The character relationships were another good feature of the story. Although Avery's disappearance was the core mystery, the others in the area contributed significantly to the intrigue. Each character had their own secret agendas, and I was fascinated by how their personal lives intersected with the investigation. While certain individuals were more liked than others, their flaws and behaviours felt genuine. Lapena avoided one-dimensional stereotypes, resulting in a cast that felt realistic and complex.

The author's writing style also contributed significantly to the book's charm. The wording was direct and action-oriented, so the plot never lost its rhythm. The pacing was fantastic, with a constant sense of tension —there was no superficial content, and each chapter added another element to the puzzle. I found myself rushing through the chapters, hoping to discover the next surprise or revelation.

Everyone Here Is Lying delivered a psychological and character-driven story that consistently defied my expectations. After devouring this book in a day, I can confidently declare that I will soon read more of Lapena's work, and I recommend it to anyone who appreciates domestic thrillers with twists, untrustworthy individuals, and a mystery that will keep you guessing till the conclusion.

Follow me on Goodreads   |   View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Reviews