Review: Sometimes I Lie



Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you thought psychological thrillers were only meant for light reading, Alice Feeney's Sometimes I Lie will prove you wrong. 

The story revolves around Amber Reynolds, a fascinating woman who awakens in a hospital bed to find that everyone believes she is asleep, in a coma, because she is unable to move or talk. This is an intriguing predicament, as she can hear the conversations going on around her, making her desperate to want to learn the truth about her circumstances.

The charm of this novel is in the twists and turns, and knowing too much would ruin the experience, so avoid spoilers at all costs.

The book bounces between Amber's present in the hospital room and her past that put her there. We also get glimpses into her childhood diaries, adding another mysterious dimension to it.

Feeney's writing style is compelling. She has a talent for creating an environment that is both unsettling as well as captivating. She masterfully creates suspense, placing the reader into Amber's world and feeling the anguish as you put piece to piece. I found myself becoming increasingly enthralled and anxiously awaiting that moment when it all fell into place.

Amber, our protagonist, is beautifully complex. Her struggle through her own memories and surrounding falsehoods is both heart-wrenching and captivating. The cast surrounding her is equally compelling, each one adding to Feeney's complex intrigue.

The twists and turns in this novel are nothing short of fantastic. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, Feeney would reveal something startling. Prepare to be challenged if you consider yourself a keen reader who can predict plot twists! The final twist hit me like a tonne of bricks, leaving me satisfied and eager to discuss it with anybody who would listen.

To conclude, this is a masterfully written psychological thriller that left me wondering till the very end. I wholeheartedly recommend it to those who enjoy dark tales and shifting narratives about the intricate aspects of human character.

Follow me on Goodreads   |   View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Reviews