Review: The Couple Next Door



The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

From the minute I opened Shari Lapena's The Couple Next Door, I was taken into a world of suspense and psychological intrigue, which is just what I love. It's that enticing hook: what would you do if your child went missing when you were right next door? This question persists throughout the book, captivating and troubling in equal measure.

The plot revolves around Anne and Marco, a seemingly perfect couple whose lives disintegrate when they leave their six-month-old baby at home to have dinner with their neighbours. They have a baby monitor with them at all times, but when they return to find Cora missing, their idyllic lives are shattered. The story does a good job of exploring the themes of parental worry, insecurity, and how complicated relationships can be.

Initially presented as a supportive husband eager for a night out, Marco gradually reveals an unsettling nonchalance. His actions and words are often ambiguous, creating some level of tension.

I found Anne to be empathetic, but somewhat repetitive. Her post-partum depression, as well as her view of Marco's altered demeanour, brought depth to her character, but that exploration felt like it was going in circles at times. As I watched her inner anguish, though, I couldn't help but sympathize with her—she's a woman trapped in a cyclone of disbelief and anguish.

Lapena's writing style is, as usual, intriguing and atmospheric, particularly in the second half of the book. The pacing was great, and the tension was developed effectively. By the last quarter, I was rushing through the pages to find out what was going on. However, none of the surprises caught me off guard, which is frequently my issue with Lapena's works.

The Couple Next Door is a gripping read that combines typical thriller elements with psychological dimension, providing a satisfying experience. If you want a quick, intriguing mystery, I highly recommend this book. However, if you want to be blown away by twists and turns, maybe look elsewhere. 

Content Warnings

Graphic - Kidnapping, Mental illness, Murder
Moderate Infidelity, Violence, Death
Minor Death of parent, Vomit, Blood


Follow me on Goodreads   |   View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Reviews