Review: The Jade Dragon



The Jade Dragon by Garrett Hutson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Garrett Hutson’s The Jade Dragon is a captivating historical fiction novel that transported me to the bustling, vibrant streets of 1930s Shanghai. Combining mystery, political intrigue, and the rich cultural ambiance of pre-World War II China, this novel drew me in from the first page and stayed with me all through. I found the work to be both absorbing and very engaging, and I would highly suggest it to readers of historical fiction and mysteries.

The book's superbly written setting is among its strongest features. The chaotic mix of cultures, colourful marketplaces, and ongoing political tensions all combine to provide a vivid background for the growing mystery.

The characters are also complex and well-drawn. I admired how well realized and convincing they were, each with their own backstory, conflicts, and motives. Particularly, the protagonist strikes out as a relatable and multidimensional character. His emotional journey and evolution throughout the narrative felt real, and I found myself cheering for him as the mystery progressed. Hutson has done a great job of combining the intimate life of his characters with the larger political and cultural scene of 1930s Shanghai, and this mix of the personal and political resulted in a compelling read.

The plot is skilfully written with lots of turns that kept me interested. As the story progressed, I became immersed in Hutson's brilliantly crafted layers of intrigue and deception. Though there were a few passages where the pace slowed down because of too much description, the balance between the mystery and the historical background is generally maintained. While these periods periodically detracted from the overall pace, the tale eventually regained its footing, and I was interested to see how everything would play out.

All things considered, The Jade Dragon is a rich, detailed book with an interesting mystery that vividly brings history to life. Despite a few minor pacing issues, it’s a thoroughly engaging read that successfully combines character depth, historical accuracy, and a strong sense of place. I would strongly suggest reading this one if you enjoy mysteries or historical fiction.

Thank you to Garrett Hutson for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Follow me on Goodreads   |   View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Reviews